Saturday, November 1, 2008

"And it's got half the fat, so I can eat twice as many!"

Yes, that's what I heard last night when I went to Walgreens to pick up some candy for trick or treaters. No, I'm not worried about the hypocrisy of living a low carb lifestyle,and passing out candy to the "unwashed" of dietary ignorance. You see, this was an insurance purchase, because I didn't want to be cleaning egg off the side of the house this morning. But not to worry, I got my comeupance. (More on that later)

The title of this post was LITERALLY what I heard another customer at Walgreens say to his wife in justification of purchasing a particular brand of candy.

I also thought of this when I was at the grocery store this morning, and was trying to find the REGULAR cream cheese in the dairy section. There were plenty of Fat Free and 1/3rd the Fat packages, but I had to end up purchasing an off brand of cream cheese to get the regular FULL FAT cream cheese. (So Philly, you just lost $1.98 because of poor supply chain distribution - not that you care since people are buying twice as many of the Fat altered versions since they've been deemed HEALTHY by the establishment)

You may ask yourself, "Self... why does he want the full fat cream cheese?" And I'll tell you, it boils down to mathematics.

Food consists of 3 macro nutrients. Protein, Carbohydrates, and Dietary Fat.

Prot + Carb + Fat = 100%

If you remove fat from the finished product, there MUST be MORE protein and/or CARBOHYDRATES.

Prot + Carb = 100% - Fat

And food companies don't usually bulk with protein, so food products that are marketed as LOW FAT are going to be HIGH CARB! It is undeniable. As easy as 1 + 2 = 3 (Carry the 1, cross multiply, etc...)

And as I mentioned before, dietary FAT (the fat in the food we eat) is completely healthy (does not lead to heart disease) IF eaten in the absence of foods that stimulate insulin secretion. (Carbohydrates).

Remember, Insulin tells your body to store what you are eating, so the fat "passes through" if you aren't telling it to be stored. It's a little more technical than that, but this is sufficient for now.

The sad part about the Walgreens customer is that while HE thinks he is getting away with something because he gets the same candy he likes but now it is healthier, is that bulking that candy with more carbohydrates makes it EVEN MORE unhealthy. This is because the sugar will have aneven greater glycemic influence on his system now, and the sugar is used to produce MORE cholesterol, triglycerides, and body fat.
--------------------------------------------------------

I said I got my comeupance from the candy, well, I was too stupid to just pass the candy out, and ended up indulging on a few select pieces that only I will know the count of, and my pancreas is pissed (the organ that secretes the insulin to remove the excess sugar from the blood stream). It has been noticeably throbbing this morning. I'll stay away from the carbs for a few days and should be fine. If not, I'll have it checked out.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am stoopib. It took me a while to connect your "butterfingers" comment from earlier with HALLOWEEN CANDY.

I'm paying for the "regular" Jif, too.